Wednesday 23 May 2007

The Wiki Truth


Arguments about the nature of truth are as old as the hills. Arguments about the age of the hills have been around since about 1859. So we can naturally assume that arguments about the nature of truth have been ongoing for a minimum of 148 years.

While reading another blog today, I checked out the link to the Wikipedia article on truth, the introduction says:

There is no single definition of truth about which the majority of philosophers agree. Many theories of truth, commonly involving different definitions of "truth", continue to be debated. There are differing claims on such questions as what constitutes truth; how to define and identify truth; what roles do revealed and acquired knowledge play; and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute.

This amuses me. Assumptions about truth need to be made to even understand the above. These statements seem to assume that if the majority where able to reach a consensus about truth, then we would know it.

It seems to me at least, that everyone holds to some absolute truth whether they believe it or not. For if you believe that all truth is relative, then that is your absolute. (Not to mention self-contradicting) Whereas, you obviously hold an absolute if you believe in any sort of absolute truth.

What is your absolute truth?

3 comments:

Achi Myachi on 23 May 2007 at 7:38 pm said...

well my truth definately doesn't come from wikipedia. I remember a lecturer once telling me that "wikipedia is not a substantial academic resource" :P

My truth, the one I hunger for, is in God's word.

Christop on 23 May 2007 at 11:03 pm said...

I believe absoluet truth exists, but I don't beleive anyone can claim to know it perfectly, because it can't be summed up inside someone's brain or in a book (or website). It's too big and wild for that.

Anonymous said...

Truth can perhaps be measured in fact but 'my truth' I am becoming aware, is a New Age copout that effectively means 'I can believe anything I want, and ignore any and all factual evidence that might contradict my assertion.' Memes ....?

 

A Country Nerd in the city. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved