Friday 6 July 2007

Troubleshoot this....


I've got one for all you IT nerd troubleshooters out there:

My brothers PC just randomly started up. True story. The two of us had previously been trying to get a Radeon 9800 Pro to run in it, with limited success. The card runs, but is horribly unstable and we have no idea why. His PC is running Vista with the latest Radeon drivers installed. So it should be running well. But anyway, after messing around with that for a while, he'd given up on it and gone to bed. Ten minutes later he calls out to me, I walk into his room, and it is pitch black apart from the Windows loading screen on his monitor. For you skeptics, there's no remote control rig setup on this PC, & the box isn't within arms reach of the bed.

His PC just booted itself up of it's own accord. True story. I wouldn't have believed it myself, unless I saw it with my own eyes. I've heard of & experienced PC's shutting themselves down before on their own, but never booting up.

Any ideas as to the solution of either of these two problems?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a Mac :p

Squid on 6 July 2007 at 11:04 am said...

There's an option in some BIOSs to auto-turn on the PC at a certain time, but only if you've enabled it will it do anything.

It's possible the power button was not de-pressed properly, and was *almost* touching the contacts when he went to bed, and then some random vibration made it close enough to be on.

It's also possible that fairies came and turned it on.

(Didn't know I read your blog, did you? :P)

 

A Country Nerd in the city. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved