Monday 17 September 2007

Drought: A second comparison


Way back in January I posted photos comparing a normal wheat harvest to last years drought. Now I'm home for the holidays I can provide an update as to what things are looking like around here, and a comparision to 2006.

These photos where taken yesterday of a Canola crop in full-flower next to my house:
This photo was taken on October 3 2006, where the canola was just past flowering:
We have been very lucky in that we have recieved good rain so far this year, but it has been quite dry for the last 4-5 weeks, and so we still need some significant rain to finish off the year well. But spare a thought for those in the mallee & elsewhere who are far more worse-off than ourselves, their crops look nothing like what is posted above, and there are real fears that many people will simply walk away from their farms & livelihoods.

1 comments:

Achi Myachi on 17 September 2007 at 11:44 pm said...

Wow! I remember the best thing about driving down your way was to get to Bordertown and see all of that beautiful yellow canola!

Did you know they're lifting water restrictions in Bendigo?

Oh, and I'm up blogging again, so u can link me!

 

A Country Nerd in the city. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved