Wednesday 7 November 2007

Hope in Adelaide


I was in Adelaide on the weekend for probably the last time (for the next few years anyway) as a visitor. Scary as that fact is, a brief moment of confusion would later calm my fears as I realized that maybe Adelaide won’t be so bad after all. I was confused because I was waiting for a bus on King William St, (Melbournians, think Collins or Bourke.) & lo and behold a tram rattles on past me. I got some serious déjà vu and as a tram rolls past the start of Rundle Mall. I wondered for a second if I was in Melbourne.

But alas, I was not. I was still on King William St just opposite Rundle Mall. For those who don’t know, the 1 remaining tram line in Adelaide has just recently been extended so that it runs the full length of the city, instead of half way. This was a revolutionary thing for Adelaide & the idea of tram lines in the busiest part of the city was a difficult one for many to swallow. But it is slowly being accepted. They haven’t quite mastered the art of turning right across tramlines yet, but all things in time.

This tram line may only be a small extension, but it gives me hope for the future. Any step which makes Adelaide more like Melbourne is a positive one. Perhaps, just maybe some South Aussies are starting to see the light. Today, it’s tramline extensions. But who knows? Tomorrow they may build freeways through the city, or waste large amounts of money on abstract architecture. (ala. Fed Square or ‘Southern Cross’) Adelaide may even get to host major sporting events.

2 comments:

Achi Myachi on 7 November 2007 at 11:17 am said...

I call it South Australians conforming to become more like victorianis. Which is stupid given how much they deny victoria. Shame shame shame.

And they do host large sporting events! ... well, until Victoria stole them!

Anonymous said...

You wish Adelaide to be like Melbourne, but Melbourne is huge and dirty. Adelaide's beautiful with its churches and gardens. Be careful what you wish for.

 

A Country Nerd in the city. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved